Wood and canvas canoes first appeared in the late 1800s, gaining favor as a more durable, low maintenance alternative to the Native American birch bark canoe designs. Sponsons are the separately-canvassed air chambers attached to each side just below the outwales. They became popular on wood-canvas canoes such as this one.
Old Town Canoe Company is a historic maker of canoes in Old Town, Maine. The company had its beginnings in 1898, in buildings constructed in 1890 for a shoe business, and was incorporated in 1901. Old Town entered the canoe market as a builder of canvas-covered wooden canoes. The company's plant was located along the Penobscot River.
Old Town is the largest and best known American canoe manufacturer. It was the leading manufacturer in the world before competitors such as Grumman pressured it by adopting aluminum for manufacture after World War II.
The source of these posters is an archive of 15,000 vintage images along with the historical information on each. All files are stored digitally and are ready for reproduction in a variety of sizes and the quality is closely monitored to ensure satisfactory results.